The stunningly simple-to-use D3100 is every family's answer to beautiful images. Whether the moment calls for a family portrait or a sharp shot of toddlers on the run, Guide Mode shows you how to capture stunning photos in no time at all. D-Movie lets you record full HD movie clips and capture the action in superb quality day or night. Nikon's advanced EXPEED 2 image processing engine maximizes the performance of the 14.2 megapixel CMOS sensor for amazingly clear images with vivid colors. Incredibly lightweight for an SLR, the D3100 makes it easy to capture your family looking wonderful wherever you go.
14.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor delivers lifelike images with vivid colors, reduced noise and smooth tonal gradations.
EXPEED 2 image processing engine provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality.
High ISO (100-3200) light sensitivity - extendable up to 12800: features an Auto ISO setting and is manually extendable up to ISO 12800 using the Hi2 setting. Enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
GUIDE mode: quick and easy-to-use in-camera assistance. Asks you about the picture you want to take and automatically optimizes settings for superior results. Sample images appear on the display to show you what will happen to your image if you apply the suggested settings.
D-Movie - full HD (1920 x 1080) movie clips: record beautiful high-definition (HD) movie clips with sound. The camera's large image sensor and high ISO sensitivity offer exceptional image quality. NIKKOR lenses can be used to obtain cinematic effects and you can make simple edits of your clips in-camera by deleting scenes or saving specific frames as still images.
Live View with Scene Auto Selector: makes it easy to compose images using the LCD monitor. Scene Auto Selector will select the best mode for the scene and subject you want to capture, and Fulltime servo AF (AF-F) mode keeps subjects in focus without the need to press the shutter release button.
Large 7.5 cm (3-inch), high-resolution LCD monitor makes it easy to view essential camera information, and a pleasure to review and edit your photos and movies.
Razor-sharp 11-point Autofocus system offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame. Four AF-area modes, including 3D-tracking AF, deliver sharp results, whether your subject is off-center, moving fast or completely unpredictable.
Active D-Lighting automatically retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast.
Picture Controls lets you set the look and mood of your images before you shoot. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape.
Extensive in-camera editing functions let you edit and enhance images and movies in the camera. Offers techniques such as Red-Eye Correction and Quick Retouch, as well as a range of Filter Effects.
Dual Integrated dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the camera's image sensor for clear, spot-free images.
Lightweight body and superior ergonomics: a secure grip makes the camera comfortable to handle. Dedicated controls for frequently used functions like Live View, D-Movie and shutter release make it a joy to operate.
- Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens mount
- Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
- Effective angle of view
- Approx. 1.5 x lens focal length (Nikon DX format)
- Effective pixels
- 14.2 million
- Image sensor
- 23.1 x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor
- Total pixels
- 14.8 million
- Dust-reduction system
- Image sensor cleaning, Airflow Control System, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required)
- Image size (pixels)
- • 4,608 x 3,072 [L] • 3,456 x 2,304 [M] • 2,304 x 1,536 [S]
- File format
- • NEF (RAW)• JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression• NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
- Picture Control System
- Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome, Portrait, Landscape; selected Picture Control can be modified
- SD (Secure Digital), SDHC and SDXC memory cards
- File system
- DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), Exif 2.21 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
- Eye-level pentamirror single-lens reflex viewfinder
- Frame coverage
- Approx. 95% horizontal and 95% vertical
- Approx. 0.8 x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 m-1)
- 18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
- Diopter adjustment
- -1.7 to +0.5 m-1
- Focusing screen
- Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen
- Reflex mirror
- Quick return
- Lens aperture
- Instant return, electronically controlled
- Compatible lenses
- • AF-S and AF-I: All functions supported.• Type G or D AF NIKKOR without built-in autofocus motor: All functions except autofocus supported. IX NIKKOR lenses not supported.• Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II. Lenses for F3AF not supported.• Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and some shooting modes.• AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II.• Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.• Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.• Non-CPU: Autofocus not supported. Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function.Note: Electronic rangefinder can be used if lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster.
Write a review for the Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera - Body Only here!
I have no review
Reviewed by Anonymous Review Posted 30/09/2011
I have no review
- Ease of use
- Value for money
The opinions expressed in this reviews section are those of our customers and not of BT Business Direct. Nothing contained herein amends BT Business Direct’s terms and conditions.